ravenna park

ravenna park

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Week 9, June 6

Ravenna Park Observation
Saturday, June 6
Sunny, 81 degrees

Part 1:
Today is an perfect day to visit my site for the last time this quarter. Over the past three month, I have witnessed the Ravenna Park from the bare grayish trees to blooming, thriving and green trees. I have witnessed the horsetail from just reached my ankle to many branches grown out and even reach my hip now. I have witnessed the ground from only a mass of green to now filled with tall grasses and wild flowers. I have witnessed the salmonberries are blooming...... I am not sure if I did not pay enough attention to the birds or anything, but I definitely feel more birds are singing during this time than I first visited the Ravenna Park.


Above are two pictures I took in week 1 and today. It is really hard to believe they are in a same spot. In the second picture, you can even see the stream and logs through those bare trees and short horsetails, but in the first picture, those horsetails completely block the view of the stream. It is just amazing to see the changes in nine weeks.

These two pictures are another comparison of horsetails. The first one I had to crouched down to get a full view of these horsetails, but the second one I can just stand there and take the photo. They are the most obvious change in the Ravenna Park based on my observation.

Now I can be confident enough to talk about my site, now just for phenological change, but also the history of the park, and where are some best locations to do observations.

Part 2:
1) When I first visited the site I could not identify anything, and I did not believe I could identify so many species from this class. I didn't realize the significance of identifying species. In my point of view, it was just another environment class that I have to take in my major. However in fact, after I am capable of identifying some species, I look at plants and hear birds every time I am outside. I pay more attention to the nature, and I understand how humans and nature live together. I notice the seasonal changes in the nature, and how different plants respond to the nature. I discovered many wonderful things in Ravenna Park, and now I just recommend to everyone to visit the park.  

2)I have never felt so lucky to live here! Seattle is still my favorite American city since I moved here from China four years ago. Not only for the hippie culture and amazing music, I cannot tell how much I appreciate the natural landscapes we have here. The city has everything that I can dream of- the lakes, the ocean, the mountains... I have the opportunity to learn more about the city I live in because of this class. Before it, I had no idea Seattle used to cover by ice sheets. I had no idea a park, or a forest I visit may take hundreds of years to develop. By taking this class, I know how special that Puget Sound Region is, and how lucky that I have a chance to live here!

3)It is important to pay attention to the details of things around you. But often times, we take many small things for granted and never appreciate them. The big picture can give you "big feelings", but intimately knowing a natural place can give you surprises and understandings. I think when you want to know place well, you should definitely do close observations. You can always discover something new, even if it is a place you already know, or you have visited many times. I like this class also required us to do sketches for the nature, I think sketch the plants or animals can make you observe more details that you would never pay attention to if you just look at them.  Also by sketching the nature, you add your own understandings and emotions to it. 

4)Like what I said before, I think sketch the nature is an important skill for me. I always like drawing things but I realized I never really drew the nature around me before taking this class. The sketch training made me love observing my site. Another important skill I gained from this class is plant ID and bird ID, especially for bird ID, I discovered so many amazing birds during this class. Before it, I didn't even know there are people spending time on observing birds everyday. 

5) My overall perception of nature and natural history has definitely changed. I am more convinced that humans are interconnected with the nature, and humans are part of the nature not an independent life. Out ancestors relied on the nature so much than we do today, and because of the natural history we know based on their previous explorations, we become who we are today. I think the development of technology is also intimately connected with the nature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment