ravenna park

ravenna park

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Week 4, April 29

Ravenna Park Observation
Wednesday, April 29
Sunny, 60 degrees

It was a clear and warm day. I went to my observation site after a rainy day from yesterday. Now everything is obviously taller and the leaves are growing bigger than the first week I came here. There are some new wildflowers that are blooming. I saw two raccoons climbing the trees near the upper hillside of the park, which was surprising and interesting.

I mostly focused on finding fungi and lichen in the park this week. I found this(shown blow) lichen growing on a tree trunk. I think it is a Hammered Shield lichen(Parmelia sulcata) which is a common lichen in the Ravenna Park. It is grayish/greenish, uneven egdes, and delicate.

This is a Oakmoss lichen( Evernia prunastri) that is growing on the tree trunk as well. It is a pale to greenish lichen, moss-like, and has soft tufts.

This is almost like a green paint on the tree bark. I have not identified this lichen.

This is a twig that I found has two lichens on one branch. It could be another Hammered Shield lichen and a Oakmoss lichen.

I found this growing on a big log on the ground. It has gray/ brown center, white edges, unstalked, and smooth surface. I was not sure about whether it is a mushroom or lichen. It might be a turkey tail because its rounded cup-like cap.

This is Artist fungus(Ganoderma applanatum) in the bracket family that I found on a dead tree. Dark brown at center, lighter brown at the edges. semicircular and convex cap.

I found this mushroom also on a piece of fallen wood that has moss grown on it too. It may be a honey mushroom because its convex cap, slender stalk. 

I walked to my original observational spot to see any changes. I can clearly notice that these horsetails are growing taller and bigger. Now I could identify some of the plants around my spot. I like the shape of the maple leaves. It becomes one of my favorite plants now!

Larger landscape of my original spot
Maple leaves


No comments:

Post a Comment